Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

David Singer writes:
> The poster is just an artfefact of a stopped video; often it is simply one frame of the video.  It is vanishingly unimportant to describe one frame of a video, while simultaneously failing to describe the video itself.

I can accept that we may disagree about this. It seems we do.

> If we had brilliant designs that were complete and covering the obvious needs -- needs that we talked about years ago in the Stanford meeting -- I wouldn't mind if we were tidying up loose ends. But in all this focus on longdesc, and posters, we have done almost nothing for video transcripts, repetitive stimulus avoidance, color blindness or a whole host of other real problems. Even the captioning isn't striving to do any better than basic television.

Many of us see long descriptions as an obvious need, including for
poster. It's part of the "on/off switch" to us. The rest just isn't that
interesting if we can't make reliable decisions of what media to consume
vs. what media to skip.

So, are you so certain we're wrong that you would keep that debate going
just on principle? Why not just get the markup specified so that we can
move on together to the more interesting list of a11y support features?

Janina

> David Singer

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net