Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de>wrote:

> On 14.03.2012 18:51, Mark Watson wrote:
> > We should indeed try to maximize the set of services
> > supported by pure FOSS stacks - to make that choice
> > as painless as possible. But that is different from saying
> > that services which use non-FOSS technologies should
> > not be on the web.
>
> The issue here are not proprietary technologies in general but closed,
> executable and unspecified code which is to be run on client computers.

Since that is the type of executable being used 99.94% of the time by
99.94% of users, it doesn't seem like a problem. The most used browser
today (IE) [1] is made from closed, non-public code.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

> I think that the W3C should not only not help in any way to support this
> but should explicitly oppose it.

The W3C should oppose the manner in which most computing is done today?