Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:04:10 -0000, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> I recognize that your position is a legitimate ideological point of view,
> but it is not one that I share or that is shared by commercial video
> provider members.
>
> I also recognize that commercial video provider members (including Cox)
> would encourage a timely transition to FOSS-only technologies, both in
> W3C specs and deployed W3C usages; however, and, this is the essential
> point,
> many aspects of that transition depend on third parties that are not part
> of this process (e.g., MPAA/RIAA) and depend on the successful
> development and deployment of technologies that meet existing business
> requirements.

I don't know how much member companies are entitled to, but I was under
impression that W3C is driven by ideology, not by business requirements of
3rd parties, and that W3C's ideology was much more aligned with FOSS's
than RIAA/MPAA's.

To be clear: I'm not saying that Web or innovation should be limited to
FOSS or even W3C-approved technologies, just that W3C may not be the most
appropriate place to for a spec that is intended to be an enabler for
non-RF technologies.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński