Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Mar 9, 2012, at 12:56 PM, Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:09:10 -0000, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
>
>> It fulfills the requirements that content vendors place on distribution by obfuscating the file stream. A user can not simply download the file and then view it in a media player. It obfuscates the stream over wireless so apps like Firesheep can not simply snoop the video automatically.
>
> Firesheep-like tools could do that. Masking key is sent in the clear in the frames themselves. Even if the masking key was somehow hidden, it's just a 32-bit value XORed with the data, so a few bytes of known plaintext or relatively small amount of brute-force can be used to recover the key.
>
> So I think websocket framing format is not appropriate for securing files stored with untrusted CDNs

I did not cite that as the use case. Yes, JS can be reverse engineered. If you want a file on an untrusted CDN, encrypt it and send the secure key through other means.

That's what the "enc:*" prefix and aes, chacha keysystems provide for.

A baseline CDN with websockets is not intended for security, only obfuscation to meet the two needs I mentioned.