Re: video.getContext

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 12:19:32 -0000, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Changing the subject line so this doesn't get drawn into the DRM
> argument. I don’t have a dog in that fight.
>
> However I do think that video.getContext("..") might be a great hook for
> supporting media accessibility features that require DSP like
> computations to be injected into the pipeline, such as enhance/decrease
> contrast, video magnifier, moving audio into frequency bands that the
> user can hear, removing all but the center channel and so on.

If those are useful features implementable in most UAs, why not add them
to the video itself?

Or maybe we don't need to change the <video>, and CSS/SVG filters can be
used instead:

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/tip/filters/index.html

There's also audio API in the works:

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/specification.html

I'm not familiar with Web Audio API, but on the surface it looks that it
could be used with <video> and <audio> if HTMLMediaElement implemented
AudioSourceNode interface. That would enable powerful filtering
capabilities without other changes to video/audio elements.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński