Re: Encrypted Media proposal

On Mar 8, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 2012, at 11:16 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>> Yes, I made a distinction between on-demand streaming and other kinds
>>> of streaming that may not allow pausing/scrubbing.
>>>
>>> Netflix's time-shifting is still rather limited, though - I can't
>>> time-shift to "when I'm on the airplane, without wifi", because the
>>> DRM prevents me.
>>
>> No, it's not the DRM that prevents you. It's because it's just not part of the product we offer. We don't offer last weekends new releases either. Just a product decision we made, primarily for non-technical reasons.
>
> Your DRM prevents me from using another service on top of you to
> implement those features.

I'd have to check, but I think our terms of service - that you agree to if you sign up - might be what really prevents you.

>  When there's no DRM in play, I don't have
> to rely on the original provider for every feature I might want.

True, but you still have to abide by any terms you've agreed to. Those terms are there for the simple reason that we don't have the rights to distribute content for offline viewing. Since we don't have those rights, we can't sell them on to you. We could choose to *buy* those rights and sell them on to you, but then the service would either be more expensive or have less content. It's a product decision.

...Mark