Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2012 7:41 PM, "Glenn Adams" <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

>> > No.
>>
>> All right, just checking. Your wording simply seemed odd to me.
>>
>> > Are you under the mistaken impression that a minority of browser
>> > implementors can dictate what the market needs or can use?
>>
>> The browser vendors do indeed get to "dictate" what web technologies the
>> market can use, since they're the ones implementing those techs.
>
> Browser vendors are not privileged as a market entity. They respond to the
> market as they choose, just as users select browser vendors based on their
> ability to meet their needs.
>
> Browser vendors do not speak with the same voice. They represent diverse
> interests and goals, and they play into the market as well.
>
> I'm almost certain that a majority of browser vendors have an interest in
> supporting the needs represented by the proposal being discussed. Since
> Google is a co-sponsor of the proposal, I have to assume that the views you
> have expressed here are your personal views and are not representative of
> your employer's official position.

Google does not have an official position on this.  One of our
employees is a co-editor and at least one other has expressed support.
 I and Hixie have expressed dismay.  Similar to Mozilla, we rarely
speak with a corporate voice; we are too large and have too many
interests to reasonably do so.

~TJ