Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

On Mar 2, 2012, at 2:42 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>> But seriously, I was referring to common customer expectations. When a customer chooses between a new TV with a Netflix badge and one without they don't expect to be able to watch Netflix on the one without the badge.
>
> "a new TV with a Netflix badge" is a deeply troubling scenario.

Hmm, I guess either you haven't been shopping for a TV recently. Many TV's, Blu-Ray players and other devices now have support for services such as Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, NBA, CinemaNow and many others (of course they won't have Netflix if you live somewhere where we don't offer service - I don't know where you live). These TV's are pretty popular, I believe. I'm not sure you'd see any products at CES without these capabilities these days ...

> expect my TV to display whatever pixels I push at it.

No argument with that.

>  Having
> service-lock-in based on my hardware is just so brain-breakingly bad I
> can't imagine how this even crossed your fingers without them cramping
> from the blasphemy. :/

Either you mis-understood me, or we have remarkably different views of the world ;-)

I'm not talking about any kind of lock-in, just about products which ship with some apps pre-installed. I hope that soon it will be possible for users to install apps on these products, including web apps. And I hope that those web apps will be able to stream all kinds of video. That's exactly why we need the standardization we propose.

...Mark