Re: Request to Reconsider Alt Guidance Location

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
> On 16 February last the HTML-A11Y Task Force teleconference meeting
> reached consensus on a resolution requesting reconsideration of one
> aspect of the Issue-31 decision logged at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0452.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0453.html
>
> We request reconsideration of the portion of the Issue-31 decision which
> allows continuing conflicts in alt guidance between WCAG and HTML 5.
>
> RESOLUTION: The HTML-A11Y Task Force supports the Issue-31
> reconsideration proposal at:
> [16]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/movealt with the
> edits
> regarding WCAG discussed and minuted from today's teleconference
>
> RESOLUTION: The HTML-A11Y Task Force supports the Issue-31
> reconsideration proposal at:
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/movealt
> with the edits regarding WCAG discussed and minuted from today's
> teleconference

As far as I can tell from the slapdash Details section, this Change
Proposal would remove all conformance requirements for @alt for
documents claiming to conform to W3C HTML5 (as opposed to HTML5 +
WCAG2, or HTML5 + Alt Techniques, or whatever).

Is that the intention? If not, please clarify the Change Proposal to
state what, or at least, *where* the normative conformance
requirements for documents claiming to conform to HTML5 would be. (A
statement of the form: "HTML5 documents would be required to conform
to forthcoming W3C Recommendation Z" would work as clarification.) If
possible, please provide replacement text for section 4.8.1.1, which
makes references to the sections the CP proposes to remove.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis