Re: Split Issue 30?

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:

>> It sounds like your only objection to allowing aria-describedby to
>> point to @hidden elements is that it will delay publishing a finalized
>> HTML5 spec. That is certainly an understandable argument, though given
>> the extreme inertia for changing semantics of existing features, I'd
>> rather spec the @hidden attribute correction from the beginning, than
>> wait to fix it in HTML6.
>

> My comment was intended as: we should wait to break current behavior, until
> HTML6.

You keep saying that it will beak current behaviour. But that's not
the case. The @longdesc is only deprecated, it is not removed from
HTML5. All browsers will continue to support it. The only difference
will be that validators will flag it as deprecated and can even
provide information as to what people should do instead. I believe in
such a mechanism as a productive way of moving authors forward into
using better features, while at the same time continuing to support
old features such as @longdesc. If we all really believe that there
are better mechanisms than @longdesc, then we should not dwell on it
but instead make use of this constructive way of moving towards a
better future.

Silvia.