Re: Using an image map for long described image links [Was: Revert Request]

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis
<bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe we should introduce a general
>> HTML attribute called @info or @iref or something similar that
>> provides a (potentially secondary) URL to any element. This URL would
>> be exposed when exposing tooltips by showing a special icon, e.g. a
>> triangle with a "!" and people can special click on it (e.g.
>> CTRL-click or so) to follow it. For screenreaders it would read out
>> "additional information available" so if you wanted to follow it, you
>> could read a long description of what the element is about. This would
>> work particularly well for audio, video and images (i.e. anything that
>> has exernal resources), but could also work for term definitions or
>> so. I'm particularly reminded of websites that pull in content from
>> other sites, but enrich the keywords with hyperlinks to their
>> definition.
>>
>> Might be an idea.. and would solve the longdesc case as well as the
>> transcript case for videos.
>
> What's the semantic difference between "additional information" for an
> element and a "long description" for an element?
>
> You could just reuse the existing @longdesc attribute for what you
> describe here.

You could. I'm just saying that there is a broader use case than just
@longdesc for images here and that it may be useful to introduce a
general solution for it. You might want to use the attribute name
@longdesc for it, or you might want to use a new one to avoid conflict
and confusion with existing uses. The new one would also come with a
recommendation for consistent visual presentation.

Silvia.