Re: Using an image map for long described image links [Was: Revert Request]

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe we should introduce a general
> HTML attribute called @info or @iref or something similar that
> provides a (potentially secondary) URL to any element. This URL would
> be exposed when exposing tooltips by showing a special icon, e.g. a
> triangle with a "!" and people can special click on it (e.g.
> CTRL-click or so) to follow it. For screenreaders it would read out
> "additional information available" so if you wanted to follow it, you
> could read a long description of what the element is about. This would
> work particularly well for audio, video and images (i.e. anything that
> has exernal resources), but could also work for term definitions or
> so. I'm particularly reminded of websites that pull in content from
> other sites, but enrich the keywords with hyperlinks to their
> definition.
>
> Might be an idea.. and would solve the longdesc case as well as the
> transcript case for videos.

What's the semantic difference between "additional information" for an
element and a "long description" for an element?

You could just reuse the existing @longdesc attribute for what you
describe here.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis