why are we pursuing this idea? (was: Implementation Details request on Issue 204 Decision)

Hi all,

I have kept out of the discussion, but I am struggling to understand all of
this.

It seems to me we have moved from the notion of being able to activate a
visually hidden link with AT, via ascribing its action to an associated
image:

This is essentially what longdesc does as implemented in Firefox today,
same as what the new Firefox implementation does via aria-describedby[1]
Note that firefox uses the same accessible action for both (showLongdesc()).

My understanding is/was that the ability to reference a hidden link was for
the (in my mind) edge case where the design  will not allow a 'visual
incumberence' i.e a visible link.

In the vast majority of circumstances we should be advocating the use of
visible content and visible interactions to access content for all users,
not devising elaborate methods to display hidden content to AT only users.

I am not an AT or browser developer, but I am someone who provides ( and
has done so for going on 12 years) advice to many organisations large and
small on how to provide accessible content. I cannot think of one use case
for which I would advise the use of this proposed feature. At the same time
there is not one use case I would advise or have advised for the use of
longdesc as currently implemented (or not).

I can see a use for the aria-describedby implementation in Firefox, but I
would not personally be advocating its use unless the associated link was
made visible at some point (for example when the image is focused or
hovered). And in most instances would be advocating the use of a default
visible link .The value of the describedby and longdesc implementations
being that they can provide an explicit linked URL with an action to an
image. The advantage of the describedby method over longdesc is that by
default it is exposed as part of the default UI (as a regular link), but
can be hidden if the use case 'no visual incumberence' is required.

given that we have entrenched positions on both sides I would like to
propose a comprimise:

we accept the use of aria-describedby as implemented in firefox and see if
we can converge on that.

we allow longdesc, but improve it so that it can either take a URL (as it
does currently) and it can also take an ID reference if as implemented in
firefox that id reference points to a link then it does the same as the
describedby and uses the href content of the link as the actionable URL. In
other words its a special case native HTML describedby.

This means we will have a longdesc (that still works for current AT), that
can use a visible link or point to in page content (non link ID) and so
does not suffer from hidden content syndrome, but does provide the ability
to explicitly associate a rich text description of the image. and IF we
must hide the link it can be done.

the implementation in browsers as shown by firefox for both describedby and
longdesc is simple (relatively) and I believe orders of magnitude simpler
than what is being discussed. I also think that some AT will simply not
implement the rich hidden content model as described, The NVDA developers
have not implemented longdesc due to it having no visible UI (for example).

We move away from the territory of large swathes of content only visible to
AT.

regards
SteveF

[1]