Re: CR exit criteria and features at risk for HTML5

On 8/16/12 1:16 PM, Chaals McCathieNevile wrote:
> FWIW I strongly disagree with your assessment that W3C will not work on
> HTML.next, whatever that is called.

It's not an assessment.  It's a worry.  There's a big difference!

> Nonetheless I think overall W3C has a
> reasonable record of publishing a version as a Recommendation and moving
> forward

Fair.  I guess it's just my interaction with the W3C in the last decade
or so that's otherwise...  Before that, and more recently, I agree
things seem to be better.

>> Yes.  If the plan for HTML were clearly to move to releases more
>> often, or even to commit to ongoing releases at all, then this would
>> all make a lot more sense.  But every time someone suggests something
>> like that there's a huge amount of pushback.
>
> I read your email in this thread as pushback to publishing a version now
> and being able to release a new version sooner.

Which mail?

The first mail was just a request for information.

My current position is that we should publish something ASAP if it's
just for IPR purposes.  If, on the other hand, we're publishing
something that others will then snapshot and bake into long-lived other
specs or legislation then we need to be more careful.  Which one we're
dealing with comes back to my request for information.

> Until we have something better that we can ship as a version...

That's fine, if that's how it ends up working.

> As Glenn said, there are many organisations who will not refer to a work
> in progress.

So the question I have is this: if those organizations refer to the 5.0
REC and then we issue 5.1, are those organizations going to update to
5.1, or continue referencing 5.0?

> A REC doesn't freeze those parts (although it can help solidify the ones
> that are not too brittle to need revision again soon). HTML5 happily
> "unfreezes" things that were baked into HTML 4, to better match modern
> reality...

A REC per se does not freeze anything at all.  It's people who then
build stuff on top of the REC who can freeze things.

-Boris