Re: img@relaxed CP [was: CfC: Close ISSUE-206: meta-generator by Amicable Resolution]

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 10:35:30 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org
On 08/05/2012 09:11 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> I can also comment that our tools for PDF->HTML would NEVER write out
> alt="", as that would be incorrect.  If an image has no alt, then it
> doesn't get an alt tag.  Alt="" has a completely different meaning.

Generally, on issues such as these, first hand statements from generator
developers will be given more weight than forensic analysis of
documents, which in term will be given more weight than assertions made
without evidence.

We currently have three proposals listed:

Which, if any, of these would be something your tools for PDF->HTML
would be willing to implement?  Are there any reasons why one would be
better than the other?  Would you rather propose something else?

> FWIW - PDF/UA, the "accessibility standard for PDF", would fail empty
> alt text.

Would any of the existing proposals fix that?  Should PDF/UA be changed?
  If so, how?

> Leonard

- Sam Ruby