W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html@w3.org > August 2012

Re: Issue 131 next steps (was: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-205)

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 15:13:52 -0500
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
Message-ID: <OF72792BEE.EB79580D-ON86257A4F.006EEC2B-86257A4F.006F2783@us.ibm.com>

I am taking some time to review the options you have posed.

Rich Schwerdtfeger

From:	Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
To:	Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc:	Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>,
            "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
Date:	08/03/2012 10:30 AM
Subject:	Issue 131 next steps (was: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-205)

On 08/02/2012 12:59 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> */For these reasons I would ask that the chairs move issue 131 to
> HTML.next and save proposal
> /*http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/CaretSelectionRevised*/
> review at that time. This will give more time for canvas,
> contenteditable, web-based IME support, and cross-cutting accessibility
> support to develop and mature. If the chairs agree to then I would
> support the chairs decision for HTML5 as a temporary one requiring
> greater view in the next version, otherwise I will need to formally
> object to the chairs decision.


You are certainly welcome do one or more of the following:

a) Withdraw or modify your CaretSelectionRevised proposal from/for
consideration for HTML5.

b) Work with Frank and others to see if they will withdraw or modify
their proposal

c) Submit an alternate proposal indicating that the spec should remain
as is and that the Reading_text_in_canvas proposal should be deferred to

d) Submit a Formal Objection

Meanwhile, these parallel options are available to all working group
members.  In particular, until or unless the Reading_text_in_canvas
proposal is withdrawn, it is still eligible for consideration.

Therefore, we encourage you to first work with Frank and others.

Should that not satisfy you, the way to ask the chairs to move issue 131
to HTML.next is to withdraw CaretSelectionRevised, and write up a Change
Proposal to defer the feature.  If it helps, you can base your proposal
off of Ted's proposal for issue 195[1].

If you do so, and Reading_text_in_canvas is not withdrawn, we will
proceed to a survey and all WG members will be given an opportunity to
state their objections to each of the available proposals there.  And a
decision will be produced based on the objections expressed there.

None of the actions described above would prevent you from submitting
CaretSelectionRevised for consideration for HTML.next, or for submitting
a Formal Objection to the decision on Issue 205.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/User:Eoconnor/ISSUE-195

(image/gif attachment: graycol.gif)

Received on Friday, 3 August 2012 20:16:30 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 29 October 2015 10:16:25 UTC