Re: Media Source draft proposal

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Aaron Colwell <acolwell@google.com> wrote:

> We have uploaded the draft "Media Source" proposal here:One model proposes
> to allow "script to explicitly send the media segments. The manifest
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/media-source/media-source.html
>
> This document is intended to be a starting point for discussion. We have
> highlighted
> several open issues in the document and there are no doubt other issues.
> The goal of the
> extension specification is to provide additional functionality to HTML5
> media elements
> so that web pages can programmatically feed data into different media
> tracks. One use
> of this feature is to support the adaptive streaming scenario outlined by
> the interest
> group but it isn't the only one. Other scenarios include offline video
> editing (media
> could be read with File API and local processing done on source data),
> seamless playlists,
> and fast "TV-like" channel switching (you don’t need to resend init
> segments on changes).

It looks pretty good to me.

For use cases where you just want to assemble a playlist and don't need to
carefully manage data buffers at the application level, I think a higher
level API that lets you precisely schedule playback is a lot simpler for
authors. See the examples at
http://people.mozilla.org/~roc/stream-demos/for example.

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]