Re: CfC: Create Media Task Force

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 10, 2012, at 6:47 PM, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> The scope of the Encrypted Media proposal is insufficient to create interoperable implementations. In particular, we know that the authors of the Encrypted Media proposal are planning to use it with CDMs other than the ClearKey CDM in the proposal, but we have no information about what those CDMs are or how UAs other than the authors' own would interface with them (despite that information having been requested right at the beginning of the discussion).

This is only because that information does not yet exist. I would expect that as the specification matures, and prototype implementations are created, that information will become available (in particular before the specification is approved).

> Obviously the W3C should not bless, or be seen as blessing, a specification that cannot be interoperably implemented. Therefore, the Media TF needs to be constituted to ensure that it either produces a spec that can be interoperably implemented (e.g., Encrypted Media plus details of the CDMs that will be used and how any UA can access them), or nothing at all. If this condition can't be imposed from the outset, then I oppose creating the TF.

Just for my understanding, do you mean that a detailed API should be defined for CDMs (in any particular language?), or that some or all CDMs themselves must be fully specified ? (Or something else?)

...Mark