Re: 1.1.1 How do the WHATWG and W3C specifications differ?

(Please avoid cross-posting to the WHATWG list and other lists, as it
causes thread fragmentation when people who are only on one list reply.)

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Jens O. Meiert wrote:

> > Please clarify -- (a) the decisions do not make sense or (b) not
> > applying them doesn't make sense?
>
> My main concern are the number of differences between the WHATWG and the
> W3C version, hence the question whether we’re on it at all to improve
> this.

Over the past few months the actual number of differences has gone down,
not up, so the trend is good. I'm not aware of any coordinated effort to
try to reduce the conflicts, though. If there are any differences where
you think the W3C version is technically superior, I encourage you to
present the technical arguments in favour of the change on the WHATWG
list. For differences where you think the WHATWG version is technically
superior, you should presumably bring the issue up here (e.g. by filing a
bug, possibly after discussing it with the chairs).

As far as I'm aware, most of the changes are either editorial issues
driven by different opinions of what makes a good spec (e.g. the W3C copy
omits a non-normative paragraph suggesting that browsers can apply image
analysis heuristics to help users), or normative issues where the W3C
decision is, as far as I'm aware, simply technically wrong or inferior
(e.g. there was a decision relating to the term "fallback content" where
IMHO the decision is based on an incorrect understanding of the term in
context). The differences in the W3C HTML5 spec vs the WHATWG spec are
always minor enough that there's not been much point me making a fuss over
them here; it just means the W3C's spec is slightly less technically
solid, without it seriously affecting implementations or interop. (The
chairs are aware of a case involving another spec where the difference was
not minor and where there therefore was a fuss caused.)

Note that the W3C HTML WG's charter says that the W3C is to pursue
convergence with the WHATWG. I'm not sure how this is supposed to manifest
itself, or whether it has manifested itself at all.