RE: Canvas uses requiring accessibility support

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011, Frank Olivier wrote:

> IMO We need a 'general purpose' hit testing solution here (to assist in
> author uptake) with a very simple method that allows authors to see what
> path/pixels are actually being set for hit testing. We spent some time
> at TPAC discussing this and IMO there is broad support for adding the
> following method (exact name TBD, of course) and behavior:
>
> boolean setElementPath(in Element element);

My plan is to add support for something along these lines when we add Path
primitives in the coming months. (I don't think we should add it separate
from path primitives because then we'd have to do it twice. For similar
reasons I haven't yet added "convert text to path" or "draw text on path"
APIs, or indeed any of the other path feature requests like ellipses.)

However, while there are definitely use cases for hit testing, it's not
clear that simply hit testing would actually help accessibility use cases.
Hence the wiki page.