Re: noted 3 issues re: time/data (was Re: minutes for HTML WG f2f, 2011-11-04, part 1)

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Ian Devlin <ian@iandevlin.com> wrote:
> My example was more to illustrate a scenario where a page may have multiple
> <time> elements and anything that's traversing that page, for example a
> search engine spider, couldn't possible know which one of the <time>
> elements on the page in question was representing the publish date, and
> therefore which one is the relevant one (in this case).

Let's elaborate on this a little more.  What's the spider doing?  If
it's just reading an ordinary HTML page that happens to have <time> in
it, it doesn't matter that the concert listings use <time> and the
last-modified date uses <time pubdate>, *because it doesn't understand
what any of them are anyway*.

On the other hand, if you're using a Microdata vocabulary like vEvent
to express the concert listings, the spider can tell what the <time>s
in the listings are, and can tell that the last-modified date *isn't*
part of any listing.  You don't need the @pubdate to distinguish them
here, either.

So, this simply isn't a use-case for @pubdate.

~TJ