Re: noted 3 issues re: time/data (was Re: minutes for HTML WG f2f, 2011-11-04, part 1)

Hi,

I'd like to oppose the intention to drop the pubdate attribute from the
time element. Whilst like some other of the HTML5 elements and attributes,
it's probably currently not being used for anything useful just yet, I can
see situations where it would be useful to automatically know which time
element on a particular page is the published date.

Say for example there was a page with a list of tour or event dates. This
could of course consist of any number of time elements, each containing the
specific date and time of a concert or event. In amongst all of these time
elements, is also the publish time/date of the page itself and surely it
would be useful to be able to distinguish that one, quickly, from amongst
all the others?

Similarly when returning search results would it not be more appropriate
for the most recent (and therefore relevant) results to be returned, and
the pubdate attribute could contribute to this as it could be used to
determine which of the pages are the more recent. Google touch on this
usefulness themselves on their blog:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/giving-you-fresher-more-recent-search.html

Regards,

Ian