Re: Rebuttal of dropHgroup CP (ISSUE-164)

Smylers, Sun, 6 Nov 2011 20:59:41 +0000:
> Lars Gunther writes:
>
>> 2011-11-06 11:13, Simon Pieters skrev:
>>
>>> Comments on
>>> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/dropHgroup

>>> I don't see why the workflow would need to be different compared to
>>> a different element/markup pattern for subtitles.
>>
>> My remark was the result of trying to write an UI (on paper) for
>> hgroup. No matter how I did it, I could not get away from the fact
>> that the intuitive way of working was to select the text for the
>> subtitle and chose "set as subtitle", ...

Hm - an interesting point.

> Here's one alternative: when the user presses the 'new section' button a
> dialog box pops up which prompts for the section heading and (optional)
> subheading. That would work fine independently of the mark-up which is
> used to denote subheadings.

It sounded as if Lars had in mind a text where there already was
heading. And that scenario sounds like a more typical one, compared to
one where you know from the start that you want a sub-heading.
Sub-headings will probably be “after-thoughts”: When the text starts to
finish, you want to fine-tune the headings - either add more headings,
but just as often take away or - with hgroup or subline - hide them. At
least, if the heading outline is gonna be useful, each heading in the
outline must not be too long.

With the hgroup approach, one must first select the existing heading in
order to add the sub-heading. If we were talking hand-coding instead of
WYSIWYG, then even more un-intuitive: First one wraps the existing
heading in hgroup, and then - only - add a sub-heading.

Leif H Silli