Re: Change Proposal to replace hgroup with a simple element

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 06:40:20 -0000, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

>>     <hsub> element is a subheading. It represents a subheading for its
>> section (i.e. it is
>>     associated with the heading in the same section that the <hsub> is
>> in). The algorithm for
>>     associating <hsub> with a section is the same as for <h1-h6>,
>> except <hsub> does not imply
>>     new sections.
>
> So basically it's associated with a section in the same way as <p>.

Yes. I think it's the simplest possible definition, it's quite robust
against authoring errors, and it shouldn't be difficult for UAs to
implement since existing association algorithm is reused.

> My only concern with this proposal is whether <hsub> should be allowed
> "anywhere" or if it should be restricted in some way (e.g. require a
> heading in its section, don't allow it in implied sections unless it is
> follows the heading element directly).

I agree it should be allowed only in sections with a heading (I've updated
the wiki).

Conformance checkers could warn against <hsub> immediately preceding
<h1-h6> that implies a section.

Otherwise I see no point in restricting its usage, as a strict definition
covering all sensible uses could be quite complicated.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński