Re: Last Call timeline

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com> wrote:

> = Timeline =
>
> - Sep 27, 2010 - all bugs filed by Last Call cutoff date addressed by editors

To deal with all high and medium priority feedback, including future
feedback assuming the historical rate, I estimate it will take me until
December this year. To deal with all feedback, including future feedback
assuming the historical rate, I estimate it will take until around April
next year. High priority feedback is that which has an immediate impact on
implementations. Low priority feedback is that which does not affect
implementations at all (e.g. requests for additional examples) and
feedback that can be deferred without risk of incompatibilities (e.g.
requests for new features that do not already have experimental
implementations).

It has been suggested to me that we will see an increased rate of feedback
over the coming months; I have no way to estimate what effect that would
have on these times. High volumes of escalations would also negatively
impact my ability to get through feedback at an adequate rate.

> - Jul 5, 2011 - all bugs filed by the start of Last Call addressed by editors
> Consequences of missing this date: bugs still open past this date
> can be escalated to issues immediately if the originator so chooses.

What is the reasoning behind this date? If we could ignore this date
that would be great, as keeping track of when feedback came in
complicates the bug handling effort and would thus slow down the
overall bug resolution process.

HTH,
--
Ian Hickson