RE: follow up on the discussion in HTML5 about metadata access

HTML is a markup language that can be (and is!) used in MANY DIFFERENT areas.  To limit it (and it's design/development) to the "Web" is short-sighted and will only lead to interoperability problems in the future.

Leonard

-----Original Message-----
From: Henri Sivonen [mailto:hsivonen@iki.fi]
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:37 AM
To: Leonard Rosenthol
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer; tmichel@w3.org; public-html@w3.org; public-media-annotation@w3.org
Subject: RE: follow up on the discussion in HTML5 about metadata access

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 16:52 -0700, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> > Right now, all use cases discussed on the HTML WG list were solvable
> > with server-side APIs.
> >
> That is NOT true, Silvia!
>
> I raised a number of use cases for non-browser-based UAs - for example
> EPUB viewers - where server-side was NOT an option.

Why would an .epub book need to be able to introspect its own metadata
using a script?

As for viewers, if the viewer wants to do stuff with metadata, it can
implement whatever interfaces it wants for its own private use. They
don't have to be standardized or exposed to scripts provided by the book
itself.

(I tend to get skeptical when a Web API is motivated by non-Web uses.
The W3C has been down that road before. Has it ever been a good road?)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi