Re: Working Group Decision on 142 poster-alt

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:41:19 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> There is also an objection to naming this attribute "first frame", but
>> that objection is a "necessary consequence" of the objection that this
>> is already implemented by browsers and used by web pages.
>
> What does "necessary consequence" mean here? Are any changes that
> require changes to deployed browsers going to automatically going to
> receive such an objection? While I agree it's good to be conservative
> with making changes to UAs which might break existing content, if the
> chairs are automatically adding such objections to the mix, they might
> want to confer with UAs first to see if they share the concern.
>
> All UAs have experience with deprecating features. Some are harder to
> deprecate than others.

The "necessary consequence" was in reference to my objections in the poll:

I strongly object to removing the poster attribute, as it is already
implemented by browsers and used by web pages. Adding a short text
alternative for the placeholder/poster image (which I object to) does not
require changing this part of the syntax.

As a necessary consequence, I also object to renaming the concept from
"poster frame" to "first frame", even though I acknowledge that "poster
frame" is by no means a perfect name for the feature.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer