Re: ISSUE-126: charset-vs-backslashes - Straw Poll for Objections

On 03/06/2011 01:27 PM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> The spec shouldn't say that ignoring backslash escapes is necessary for
> compat (it probably isn't) [...]

While we don't routinely do this, in reviewing the objections to Change
Proposals put forward for issue 126 it appears that there (might be?
is?) consensus on this point, and furthermore that this addresses the
issue expressed in ISSUE-126, even if it isn't the preferred alternative
of every member of the working group:

Per the Decision Policy, "At any stage of the process, the issue can be
settled amicably".  Therefore, if a change proposal is put forward in
the next couple of days that captures the above, the chairs have agreed
to issue a Call for Consensus on that proposal.  Otherwise, we will
proceed to evaluate the change proposals that we do have.

> [...] but handling them is more complicated than
> ignoring them, so I don't think there's any reason to align with HTTP on
> this point unless the whole algorithm (and implementations!) is change
> to exactly match HTTP on all points.

You are welcome to include this in the Change Proposal.

- Sam Ruby