Re: modal dialogs/overlays/lighboxes

I can't explain why other people are emulating dialogs with javascript
instead of using window.showModalDialog, but these are just some of the
issues that I remember right now:

At first it was IE only, so there was a need to emulate it for other
browsers.
According to the spec text itself, the dialog might fail due to popup
blockers
Just yesterday I was asked about a page where that call was used to launch a
PDF, but the dialog was empty. Changing to a plain window.open or
target="_blank" made it work.
In general: the execution of code and loading of pages inside the dialog is
very restricted in IE. There are simple things that work, but you can't get
the same flexibility and power than a normal window or div, so there's no
sense about trying to use it when "normal" things (like linking to a pdf)
fail.

Of course, other people will have other reasons to use/don't use it. Those
are the ones that makes me not interested about it.