-----Original Message-----
From: Leif Halvard Silli
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 10:11 AM
To: Andrew Fedoniouk
Cc: public-html@w3.org ; Simon Pieters
Subject: Re: , , , , etc.

>Andrew Fedoniouk, Fri, 26 Aug 2011 08:18:57 -0700:
>> Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 3:14 AM

>>> http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1122
>
>> http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1123
>> As you see <legend> is parsed in even it is used outside of
>> <fieldset> but <caption> for some reason is simply ignored.
>> Very strange logic to be honest.
>
>Sometimes I regret that we problematisized the <legend/> element: [1]
>
>]]
>  * The figure element now uses a new element figcaption rather
>    than legend because people want to use HTML5 long before it
>    reaches W3C Recommendation.
>  * The details element now uses a new element summary for exactly
>    the same reason.
>[[
>
>But as your example code shows: Had we choosen <caption/> rather than
><figcaption/> and <summary/>, the time before people could use
><figure/> and <details/> would probably have been prolonged rather than
>diminished.
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/#changes-2009-08-25
>--

To be honest I do not understand the idea of such reasoning.

Say if in HTML5 we will decide to always parse <caption>
as such a <span> element:

  <caption>Caption text</caption>

will be parsed and create DOM of this structure
  <caption style="display:inline">Caption text</caption>

Currently HTML parsers create just this for some reason:
  Caption text

These two cases are undistinguishable for the human - so the
solution is backward compatible. I don't think we can
find existing markup on the web that relies on the fact that <caption>
and </caption> tags are silently ignored by modern browsers.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk

http://terrainformatica.com