Re: HTML.next and Rechartering

On 08/11/2011 06:21 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> We could, for example, right now split out all those
> features that are stable

Again, I encourage you to make specific proposals, starting with bug
reports.

> So, while I sympathize with the spirit of the W3C process, I think our
> execution of it is rather unsatisfactory and I feel unable to make an
> informed decision on whether the HTML specification in its
> completeness should actually move forward in the maturity or not. I
> want it to move forward, but at the same time I want to really hold
> back on large parts of it. This is why I'm not able to vote on such a
> decision.

In the short term, nothing will change unless people start making
concrete proposals as to what they want to see taken out of the document.

That being said, in the long term what you are describing is exactly
what will happen as features for which we can't demeonstrate
interoperability will have to be jettisoned later in the process.

So: you can be a part of the process and help things along; or you can
simply wait and we will end up in the same place anyway.  We just will
get there sooner (and with a lot less wasted effort) if people like you
identify what parts should be effectively held back -- I say this as
removal from HTML5 will not make such features ineligible for inclusion
in HTML.next.

I encourage you to participate.

- Sam Ruby