Re: HTML.next and Rechartering

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:12:22 -0600, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
wrote:

> I don't think a spec-wide "Last Call" draft or period helps this purpose
> and thus perhaps that aspect/phase of the process should itself be
> called into question.

It has been, and is under discussion (as you know, having been explicitly
invited to attend such discussion). The HTML working group isn't really
the forum where such discussions should take place if you want to be sure
they are noted.

If you work for a W3C member, you can talk to your AC rep. You could also
send feedback directly on the process document, as outlined there -
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/

Agreed. I am not sure that we *need* a formal working draft yet (which of
course also has an important role in W3C's patent policy), so I am not
sure what the rush is to de get rechartering done, rather than an
extension to complete the work and authority to *begin* sketching what
goes into HTML next.

> Also I wonder why we'd want to put a restriction on the features that
> we want to add to HTML5.

Because there are many industries where people make contracts and
statements of work, and need a stable target to sign up to.

> I think it's more productive to keep the
> features open and just continue working on the spec. Which is in fact
> already happening at WHATWG and it's good to stay in sync.

There are important use cases for a published, finished version. Although
the latest and greatest may not be in it, unless Ian did something
completely against his espoused guiding principles, it is likely that what
is in that version will be reliable, and stable, and it is clear that for
many people it is more than sufficient to meet their requirements.

cheers

Chaals

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg lĉrer norsk