Re: HTML.next and Rechartering

On 08/11/2011 01:38 PM, Simpson, Grant Leyton wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> One question I have--one that is in my opinion important to a discussion
> of pursuing a revised charter--is how work on the next version of HTML by
> this WG will relate to work done by WHATWG. WHATWG has referred to the
> HTML5 work done heretofore as a "snapshot" of their "living" HTML. Is that
> the model we as a WG want to follow? Would the next iteration of HTML from
> the W3C track WHATWG work?

What do you propose?

My suggestion is that this discussion be pursued at a more fine grained
level.

If there are features that are in the WHATWG spec that nobody ever
proposes be include in a W3C spec then those features likely will never
appear in an W3C spec.

If there are features that in the WHATWG spec that people do propose be
included in a W3C spec, there will be ample opportunity provided for
people to comment on the proposal and, should they wish to, object.  If
it works out that that there is such a proposal and there is no
objections, such material will be included.

If there are features that people wish to propose to be included in a
HTML.next deliverable that never appeared in any WHATWG spec, then again
ample opportunity will be provided for people to comment on the proposal
and, should they wish to, object.  Again, if it works out that that
there is such a proposal and there is no objections, such material will
be included.

My assessment is that what is in the WHATWG spec currently is a likely
indicator of what might be included in a future W3C spec, but not a
guarantee.  Technical differences base on actual disagreements will be
relatively few and fully documented.  Any remaining difference will be
due to a lack of participation, and again will be fully documented.

My suggestion meanwhile is to populate the wiki and participate in the
calls for proposals and calls for consensus:

http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/next
http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html

> Best,
> Grant