Re: ISSUE-133 modal-attribute - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

On 2011-08-09, at 5:47 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> "In §3.2.7 WAI-ARIA, the language feature <dialog modal> should be specified to have the strong native semantics equivalent to role="dialog""
>
> WAI-ARIA defines 'dialog' as
>
> " dialog (role) A dialog is an application window that is designed to interrupt the current processing of an application in order to prompt the user to enter information or require a response. "
>
> Do you think that this is appropriate for all the use cases?

We also need to ensure that authors receive guidance about the problems that dialog / application mode, can cause for some AT users.  The keyboard interaction of AT that switches into application mode changes significantly if the <dialog> element does not have a child element with role="document".

Sometimes it will be desirable to provide a true dialog (Yes, No, Cancel), other times authors should be nesting a container with role="document" within the dialog, to retain the expected keyboard interaction.

> On dialog close where does the focus move to by default?

IMO, it is desirable to have the focus return to the element which caused the dialog to open.

> Even when dialogs are NOT modal it is important that tabbing to through all the controls in the dialog does not result in focus moving out of the dialog.

It is also important that the content available to screen-readers be restricted to the dialog's contents.  As screen-reader users usually lack access to the visual affordances to separate dialog contents from the background.