Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-31 / ISSUE-80 validation survey

Aryeh Gregor, Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:27:29 -0400:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> So what and for whom would be better by omitting the @alt?

>  The alt text I
> cited is clearly "bogus" in the sense that it's added solely to evade
> validation errors, without any attempt to actually provide a useful
> text alternative to the image. I make no claims beyond that.

Your claim is that individuals insert images without proper @alt text
into MediaWiki web pages.

But given that you sent us a bug report, it seems the "without any
attempt" characterization points back to the developers. E.g. I don't
believe for second that the average Wikipedia user adds anything
"solely to evade validation errors".

> If you have questions about the evidence I provided, of a sort that
> would likely be germane should the issue be reopened, then it's
> possible this list is a correct place to ask.

I hope that Maciej takes note of our exchange.

If the chairs needs to see that images that are *not* inside a link but
where the @alt text only duplicates a visible caption, then I have no
problem with providing such evidence. E.g. here is a page in English
were the main image has a bogus @alt, a bogus @title and a bogus
visible caption (bogus since they all have the same content):
http://www.dagbladet.no/a/14020240/

Why do they add all those bogus values? Who knows. But the blame is,
again, much more on the CMS makers than on the individual image
inserter.
--
Leif Halvard Silli