Re: role="subheading" or role="subtitle" to replace hgroup

hi henri,

>1) It makes the role attribute a mixed bag of AT-only stuff and other
stuff. It would be clearer to keep the role attribute for AT-only stuff.

how about just an attribute "subheading"? for which a new ARIA role could
also be minted that maps to the attribute.

>2) It would be desirable to have a selector that matches on the outline
depth.

unclear about what you mean here.

>Making a selector depend on the outline algorithm makes the algorithm
performance-sensitive. Doing stuff depending on an attribute value is likely
to be more of >an issue for performance than doing stuff based on the name
of the element.

is the performance issue severe enough to be a blocker?

I keep coming back to the use case for hgroup being to mask a subheading(s)
from the outline algorithm and think that minting a new element just for
this purpose seems like overkill and unnecessary complexity and given that
people who are ardent  supporters of all things HTML5 find the hgroup
problematic.

regards
stevef

--