Re: getting rid of callers

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> Various HTML*Collection interfaces and the HTMLFormElement interface
> define callers.  Callers seem unpopular with many people, so I am
> wondering how many can actually be safely removed from the spec.
>
> Here are some tests I ran to see where they’re implemented:
>
>  http://people.mozilla.com/~cmccormack/tests/callers.html
>  http://people.mozilla.com/~cmccormack/tests/callers-quirks.html
>
> The results are here:
>
>  http://people.mozilla.com/~cmccormack/tests/callers-results.html
>
> (I left out the HTMLPropertyCollection ones since nobody implements that
> yet.)
>
> So of all the callers, Firefox has been getting away with only
> implementing document.all("blah"), and only for quirks mode.

Thanks for doing this research!

Yeah, as far as I know we haven't had anyone complain about this. I
don't see us adding support for any more callables unless people can
show that it's needed for web compat. I believe I've raised this issue
in the past.

I would personally be ok with aligning quirks and standards mode for
HTMLAllCollection though, as I think minimizing the difference between
the two is generally a good thing.

> For HTMLFormElement, it seems only IE implements them.  Are they really
> necessary to have in the spec?
>
> I don’t have any data on any of this.  Does anyone else?  Any browser
> vendors willing to drop any of these callers? :)
>
> Also, it seems sad to require callers on HTMLPropertyCollection, before
> there are even any implementations.  Can we get rid of them here?  (Only
> by not inheriting from HTMLCollection would we truly be rid of them,
> though.)

The other way is to make HTMLCollection not callable :)

/ Jonas