Re: ISSUE-118 CP 3

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:45:52 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, public-html@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren, Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:09:54 +0100:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 00:49:02 +0100, Robert O'Callahan  wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Jirka Kosek wrote:
>>> Or should be each feature in HTML5 thrown away if it is not supported by
>>> N major browsers?
>>
>> If, after more than ten years of being in a spec, a feature is not
>> supported in the default configuration of any major browser --- then
>> yes, take it out. (We can always bring it back if it suddenly gets
>> new support.)

@Robert: Firstly, could you define "suddenly gets _new support_"? And
in that regard: these days, Opera, Safari and Chrome get support for
extensions. Thus it should be possible to implement navigation toolbars
based on these link relations even if the user agents are not shipped
with such support built in. Hense, unless the mentioned browsers
suddenly - or in due course - will remove their extension support, this
does not seem like the right moment to anticipate less support.

> Agreed. Opera will likely remove this feature in due course.

@Anne: so if Opera suddenly removes it, we should change the spec ...?
And what is "this feature"? Please note that the change propoposal does
not speak about whether user agents should have specific toolbar
designated for structural navigation of a web site based on link@rel
keywords - or not. The CP merely seeks to speak for a conservative
interpretation of certain @rel keywords. The reference to Opera's
implementation in the Alexandre Alapetite's overview over the status,
mereley show that the interpretations deviates very little from each
others.

Leif Halvard Silli