Re: SSUE-129: replace or modify the ARIA section of the HTML5 spec - chnage proposal and replacement spec text

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:04:07 +1100
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Hi Laura,

>There doesn't seem to be any ARIA mapping for figure and details

ARIA does not have any roles that match the semantics of either element.

>and meter is mapped as presentation.

meter is not mapped as presentation, it has no default role,
role=presentation is allowed to be used on meter as it is on any
element as specified by the HTML5 editor.

>From an accessibility perspective, to you consider these functional?

Just because an element does not have a default ARIA role does not
mean that a role will not be agreed upon and implemented across user
agents, it only means there is not a role defined in ARIA that is a
good fit for the semantics of the element. Guidance in such cases will
be provided in the HTML to accessibility API implementation guide.

As far as role="presentation" being allowed on any element, I do not
think it is the best outcome.

best regards
Steve