Re: Change Proposal for ISSUE-125

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:10:46 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Maciej Stachowiak, Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:20:32 -0800:

> [...] I believe older
> (pre-HTML5 parser) browsers generally work that way. When detecting
> the encoding, once they see "<meta", pre-HTML5 browsers just scan
> forward to find "charset=" before hitting ">". That's somewhat
> oversimplified, but a decent first-order approzimation. From that
> model, you can see why foocharset would be detected and charsetfoo
> would not. This same looseness is what makes HTML5's simplified
> charset syntax (<meta charset=utf8>) work in current browsers.

I would say that there is a logical step from

      content='text/html;
      charset="UTF-8"'>

So, what makes <meta charset="UTF-8"> work is because legacy user
agents have already supported quotes around the charset name in HTML4
and XHTML1.X.
--
leif halvard silli