Re: Change Proposal for ISSUE-126

On Nov 13, 2010, at 9:55 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> SUMMARY
>
> The specification requires recipients to parse Content-Type headers in <meta> elements in a way breaking HTTP's parsing rules.
>
> The justification given is:
>
>  "Note: This requirement is a willful violation of the HTTP specification (for example, HTTP doesn't allow the use of single quotes and requires supporting a backslash-escape mechanism that is not supported by this algorithm), motivated by the need for backwards compatibility with legacy content."
>
> ...however tests show that Opera, Safari and Konqueror ([1]) do not implement the HTML5 parsing rule, so it's highly doubtful that it's actually needed for "backwards compatibility".

Note: current WebKit nightlies match the Gecko/Trident behavior on the linked test case. We just haven't shipped the change in a Safari release yet.

I don't have strong data on the compatibility impact of this specific change, but when we diverge from both Firefox and IE, it is rarely on purpose, and matching them has almost always fixed bugs, even if we didn't know it at the time.

Regards,
Maciej