Re: Timed tracks

> "people making high-end integrated solution" is an ad hominem
> argument. I don't understand your argument for simplicity.
>
> In what way is sticking the captioning or subtitle or timed text
> information in the HTML any simpler, from anyone's point of view?

My point was figuring out just where the 'authoring' takes place. If
the captions are truely a track on the video then authors are giving
data to the video authoring system, not to the host browser. UA/AT has
to dig into the video file to find info. This is best done by whatever
is doing final composition of the video frame, not be the host html5
web browser UA.
Just like there may be metadata in other image forms, the typical web
browser doesn't necessarily look inside the resource to find possible
content. So, any video with built-in content, like captions of links
of subwindows, overlays, or whatever has to be usable with the html5
'native' video player?

Not all the internals are standard in most video forms and right now
since the 'high-end' video browser systems are working hard to provide
all the deep features in their dedicated systemized branded players.
I'm not sure how to include this info into free and open video
formats, or even what level of capabilities should be builtin for
html5 <video> At least if the captioning is part of the html5 video
element, as plain text, then the conformant html5 web browser UA/AT
can deal with it.
I've seen some widget words somewhere, but this is markup aimed at the
author that can depend upon some common script or builtin conforming
widget(s) to handle. No need to have detailed interfaces with the
video format/player being delivered? Here, the capioning markup
doesn't need to depend upon the video to play in order for the
captions to be delivered and is outside the content that is a part of
the file resource(s) delivered by the context representing the html5
<video> element markup.

I need research, but if open and free video formats don't directly
include a standards-track caption/interactivity system, then the only
path is to put the caption/interactivity model explcitly in the html5
user code as part of <video>. Like other elements intended for
semantically widgetated functionality this information is more in the
category of authored access than authored fallback.

> When I think about workflows for producing, editing, linking,
> copying, referencing, and otherwise using video on the web,
> associating timed text directly with the video rather than embedding
> it in the HTML seems like it is "simpler" for the end users.

Well, that is it. Either the info is rendered directly into the video
or produced from data delivered from a 'track' of the video or some
other way where the captioning is delivered with the <video> resource,
not the html5. Anyway this is stuff for the video context runtime, not
the host web browser UA/AT to deal with and thus is maybe inaccessible
to a UA that does not support <video>.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe

.