RE: ISSUE-90 - Removing the figure Element - Straw Poll for Objections

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:06:10 -0700
To: "'Henri Sivonen'" <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "'HTMLWG WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "'Maciej Stachowiak'" <mjs@apple.com>
> On the topic of the strength of objections: Larry's
> concern about progress to REC could be used as an excuse
> to delete anything proactively. However, we don't need to
>  because the Process already involves pruning features
> without implementations before in later transitions

It isn't "Larry's concern", it's a concern which should be shared
by any responsible group working on standards.

It isn't an "excuse", it is a rationale.

It isn't a "delete", its holding off on adding something
until the specification and implementations are baked
and "match reality" -- a threshold which has been applied
liberally to HTML4 features which actually *have* been deleted.

The argument wasn't about "anything", it was about one specific
addition which seems to still not be completely baked.

And it wasn't "proactive", it was reactive, based on review,
implementation status, and specification in the document.

Please evaluate the argument on its merits, rather than
this false bogeyman.

Thanks,

Larry
--