Re: comments on the polyglot spec

"Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> *  I am extremely circumspect about section 2 forbidding the use
>     of processing instructions in a polyglot document. Polyglot
>     documents served through a PHP processor use processing
>     instructions and will then be not editable by editing
>     environments following the guidelines...

String that look like processing instructions (including <?php ... ?>) are non-conforming in text/html and don't cause PI DOM nodes to be created in text/html. Thus, the polyglot guide would have wrong if it didn't say that PIs don't belong in the polyglot subset.

As for <?php ... ?> being bogus in text/html in the first place, the HTML5 spec deals with what travels over the public network, so server-side pre-processor syntaxes are out of scope. Thus editing environments that want to preserve pre-processor syntax can't even follow the HTML5 spec proper when it comes to that syntax.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi