Re: Request to publish HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives as a first public working draft

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:53 AM, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Anne,>but it seems that in Example 2.3 it is not explained what
>
>> the advantage of including an alternative text in the first place is. If
>> there is a full description it seems one could just use alt="".
>
> The description is an alternative interpretation of the flowchart. if
> alt="" was used the image would be removed from the accessibility tree
> for AT users, which is incorrect, the image is not meaningless, it
> contains information which a range of users could interpret with the
> aid of the short text alternative and longer description.
>
> The alt in this case provides an accessible name for the image that
> identifies the image for users AT users. It also provides a text
> alternative for users who have images turned off in their browsers, so
> they can if they wish load and view the image. If alt="" was used
> there would be no indication that an image was there.
>
> please file a bug if you aren't satisfied with my reasoning.

It would be very interesting to see research on how people use alt
today. I would think there is a not insignificant amount of content
out there where the 'alt' attribute contains a description rather than
true alternative text. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this was
the case in the majority of cases when alt is used.

My concern is that with this definition of alt, we'd instantly not
only make a large body of content inaccessible. We'd also do AT users
a disservice by telling AT software to hide the fact that there is an
image there since the alt attribute was used.

/ Jonas