Re: Request to publish HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives as a first public working draft

Hi Anne,>but it seems that in Example 2.3 it is not explained what

> the advantage of including an alternative text in the first place is. If
> there is a full description it seems one could just use alt="".

The description is an alternative interpretation of the flowchart. if
alt="" was used the image would be removed from the accessibility tree
for AT users, which is incorrect, the image is not meaningless, it
contains information which a range of users could interpret with the
aid of the short text alternative and longer description.

The alt in this case provides an accessible name for the image that
identifies the image for users AT users. It also provides a text
alternative for users who have images turned off in their browsers, so
they can if they wish load and view the image. If alt="" was used
there would be no indication that an image was there.

please file a bug if you aren't satisfied with my reasoning.

regards
stevef

--
with regards