RE: ISSUE-88 / Re: what's the language of a document ?

Very soon this will no longer be the case.  Changes to the remaining XHTML
specs to allow them to be served as text/html are at an advanced stage, and
include the addition of the lang attribute - since that is necessary for
language information to be recognized in HTML.  So this case ought not to be
used for as a basis for proposed behaviour in HTML5.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)