Re: AuthConfReq: Presentational Markup

Le 29 mars 2010 à 15:43, Aryeh Gregor a écrit :
> What we should be aiming for is having most top sites validate
> (possibly with warnings).  Not because we've just removed requirements
> until they validate, but because we've removed requirements that
> authors don't care about to the point that it's actually practically
> useful to validate your pages, even if you don't care about
> conformance per se.

hmmm. This got me puzzled a little bit.
Aiming for validation of top sites might not
be the best choice. Because we do not know
the intent of the authors, and the constraints
of the tools used to produce the markup.

That said, we might think about
"Why validating a Web page?".
Or more exactly
"why people validate today?"

* Learning to code html
* Having a sign-off for quality control
* Enforcing the contract requirements

… something else?

Conformance is orthogonal to validity.
A page can be valid and not conformant
(for example using an element with a
specific meaning in an inappropriate content).

A html checker/lint tool could be useful in a way
that would reward people for improving the code of
their page more than slapping them.
(harder to develop though).
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/22-cleaning-tbl.html

--