Re: AuthConfReq: Presentational Markup

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> Banning <font> in general, rather than, say, only when used in a way that
>> actually harms accessibility, is analogous to this reasoning. By having the
>> blanket ban, we avoid the presumed negative externality, without having to
>> closely inquire about the particular circumstances of each use. The latter
>> requires too much judgment for a conformance checker.
>
> Why does this not imply that style="" should be an error as well?  The
> spec gives reasons for why not all inline presentational markup is
> banned, but I see no reason given for why only style="" was kept, and
> not other presentational markup as well.

(Clipped the rest, but I think this sums up the email.)

The answer is, basically, we need @style.  Even if every
presentational element and attribute that has ever existed was
allowed, we'd still need @style.  Simplifying and just sucking all the
use-cases into @style simplifies things a bit.

It also has some side benefits, such as making authors aware that they
are using CSS to do this styling, leading them to use CSS elsewhere.

~TJ