Re: AuthConfReq: Presentational Markup

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 04:27:43 +0200
To: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Cc: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Leif Halvard Silli, Sun, 28 Mar 2010 01:06:44 +0100:
> Karl Dubost, Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:50:05 -0400:

>>> Should the commenter in this case not have been allowed put a strike
>>> over the text?
>>
>> Not sure I understand the question.
>> It depends on how you design the language. Is strike permitted in the
>> language?
>
> Yes, the use case is a language were <strike> is permitted. The
> question then is: what advantage would there be in possibly forbidding
> use of <strike>. Or if - and why - there would be an advantage in the
> use of <del> or <span>. If span was used, then aural and text terminal
> users would probably not get any info.

Found a local event calender [1] using <span class="past_time"> with
the following CSS,

	 span.past_time{text-decoration:line-through}

for past events. The "past_time" class is applied based on whether you
load the page before or after the event. And the choice of <span> means
that users of terminal based web browsers do not get any heads up about
whether it is a past or a present event.

Using a <strike class="past_time"> would have offered nearly all
terminal based browsers [2] a way to perceive the heads up. Thus, the
use of <strike> would have lead to better accessibility.

<del> would also have been better than <span>, even if it would have
lead the users of some of the terminal based browsers to not have any
way to perceive the heads up [2].  But nothing is deleted here, so
<del> doesn't feel right.

[1]
http://kunstkritikk.no/kalender/liste/69210?range=week&time=1270764000

[2]